Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Catching Up

I've not been wanting to blog much the last few days – I'm still steaming over the House's vote of defeatism last week. I was so cross eyed with frustration the last few days I just didn't want to blog. Though I did read a ton of stuff, including lots of good news that failed to get picked up by the main stream media – they were already told that this was a disaster by the Defeatocrats.

That said, there's still plenty going on:

  • Shannon and I got a new bed (the old one sold today). It was such a great deal and now we finally have a King-sized bed – though we're both collectively smaller than at any other time in the last several years.
  • Shannon and her mom took the boys to IHOP today for pancakes. It was a late lunch and I ran over there to join them. It's the first real syrup I've had since October '06 at least. I didn't know what I was missing, but alas, no more. All of the boys were having a great time and you can't beat feeding seven people for $3 (not counting a tip and a donation to the Children's Miracle Network).
  • I'm listening right now to an interview over the internet with Duncan Hunter, a congressman from San Diego that's running for President, and I'm impressed on several issues! That said, I've been thrown for a tailspin with these guys. I've been impressed recently by Rudy Giuliani and sorely disappointed with hometown guy Sam Brownback. So who knows? I'm sure I'll blog in the future about presidential candidates and how I rate them on international, domestic, and moral issues.
  • There was a new baby boy born into the congregation Tuesday afternoon – 9 pounds, 12 ounces! Mom and baby (number three for that family) are doing great. It's really exciting to see new children born into our church family and we all congratulate them on the wonderful addition. My brood of four is probably complete but I sure wouldn't balk if God wanted us to have more. Having larger families (more than two or three) isn't impossible it just calls for a different allocation of your resources. And the blessings that come from many children in a safe, Godly home are more than can be described. I'll don't think we're maxed out yet (but five sure would be close).
  • Jay-rod and I went to play basketball this afternoon in Bonner Springs. We met several men from the area and I think this is going to be a great thing for our physical health and our ministry in the community. But last week I had a bad experience trying to play at my YMCA in town, I was the only adult there, came late, and all the high school kids basically wouldn't let me in the game as they rotated kids in and out. I kept asking, but I waited for "my turn" for 35 minutes as everyone else got on the court two or three times. They wanted me to go away and, frankly, my feelings were hurt. In a way I don't blame them: here's this 30-year-old white guy that's trying to push his way into their game amongst friends. But at the same time I sure wish someone would have offered an invitation to a stranger. I never did get on the court that night, but it's interesting to experience that kind of blatant exclusion just because you're different.

No comments: