Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Random Conference Thoughts, Day 3, Part 2

  • I got to where I was feeling better by late morning. Whew, glad that's over!
  • I think I saw the majority of my old professors. Some of them recognized me, others didn't, but that's okay. It's easy to become envious of guys my age that are well known and might be teaching at a college or preaching at conventions, but I'm also convinced that God uses the anonymous little guy to do great things also, to "shame the wise" as it says in scripture. I don't need to be famous or well known, just faithful.
  • We traveled through a tremendous thunder storm on the way home. The lightning was so frequent that it was almost like a strobe light. We even had to pull over because of the rain and hail.
  • I didn't get to see Joshua F. or Andrew S. or any other student I might have known during our stay. I know they're really busy, so next time I'll call and let them know I'll be there in advance if I want to see them. I was also disappointed that there weren't more people there my age. There were some, maybe more folks about five years older than I would have expected, but almost no twenty-somethings. It also seemed like baby-boomers were also underrepresented. In contrast, class reunions for people about 35-40 and 65-70 would have been packed. I wonder why that is?
  • I did get a couple of Ozark Christian College t-shirts, but not the nice shirt I was looking at. They had several XXXL shirts (too big) of this variety and several that were smalls (a bit tight for me) but nothing remaining in between. It looks like I came too late.
  • We grabbed dinner with the Anderson's at our favorite Chinese place. We sat and talked for over an hour. We also played some foosball and pool at the new Student Center (ask Jay-rod how I took him to billiards school and beat him). We love the Anderson's so much; I can't imagine how the trip could have been as fun without them.
  • We left a bit early tonight; we were really eager to get home. I didn't really want to miss anything but at the same time our cups were full and running over. We heard great preaching, went to great workshops, saw a few old friends, and were encouraged to fight the good fight. What a treat!

No comments: