Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Writing, Writing, Writing

My sixth anniversary of blogging is this month.  I've been averaging better than one post a day for about 2,200 days (I'm closing in on 2,500 posts).  This blog has earned $0, which is fine, and has a very small but loyal following consisting mostly of blood relatives and people at risk of being asked by me, "did you see my blog yesterday?".

I've said before that my main goal is to write a daily journal that my kids would have in case I get hit by the proverbial truck.  I've also appreciated being able to keep a line of communication open to far-flung friends and relatives.  But mostly, this blog has been about the exercise of writing.  I've generated some three quarters of a million words on this blog.  That's half again bigger than Tolstoy's War and Peace and ten times bigger than the average novel.  It turns out I'm prolific in more ways than one!

But I've still got a long way to go as a writer so I've decided to set a goal, to publish a book before I'm 40.  That's six years.  I've got several ideas that I've entertained for years, including two that I think about almost daily:  One is a novel, a science fiction story that I've written and re-written in my head, day dreaming it for years now.  The other is a non-fiction book about ministry, which will hopefully be the practical and good-humored guide I wish I had had when I graduated Bible college.

For all of you writers out there, here is a good link about writing: 7 Habits of Serious Writers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say, write them both!

love,
Mom