Monday, October 02, 2006

Random Thoughts 10/2/06

I thought I'd finish these up from earlier today; I was feeling a bit pekid earlier…

  • I was recently made aware of an interesting new movie, Facing the Giants. It looks like a Hollywood-made high school football movie along the lines of Remember the Titans or Fiday Night Lights. But it's actually produced by a church with a "media-ministry." The main star and director is the associate minister of media at Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia. They rent the equipment for their movies and most of the actors are volunteers but they get good reviews. I'd be interested to see their work.
  • For some reason Blogger has withdrawn the invitation for me to upgrade my blog to the next level. I've been working on it this summer with all kinds of ideas for layouts and color schemes and organization, but now that I'm ready they won't let me. Oh, well. I'll just have to be patient.
  • Shannon and I are taking the Dave Ramsey financial peace class at our church. It's amazing what you can do when every dollar has an assigned place to go. It takes discipline but we now have an actual (and doable!) plan to eliminate all of our debt while still building substantial savings. And it gets better: Shannon called one of the doctors we owe for Graham and he completely forgave a $1200 bill, just because we asked! When you let God run things, it's amazing what He'll do!
  • Mom went to the hospital today with chest pain, but the doctor was able to rule out anything serious. I think he said something about the pain in her chest being all in her head, but I could've heard that wrong. Besides, what does he know, he hardly looked thirty years old and everyone knows you can't trust anyone under thirty.
  • I turn 30 on Wednesday.
  • I had my first loss in Fantasy Football this year, and wouldn't you know it – it was to Dustin.
  • Graham is perhaps the happiest baby we've had. We always thought Tanner was quick to laugh but Graham is just a bundle of joy (so long as he's near Mom). Here's a picture of Graham Ryker sitting in Daddy's chair (notice the rare absence of Mom!):


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see it as well and it is playing at several theaters around the Greater KC Area. Here is the list of theaters:

AMC Town Center 20
11701 Nall Ave.
Leawood, KS 66211

CNMK Cinemark 20
5500 Antioch
Merriam, KS 66202

AMC Studio 30
12075 S. Strang Line Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062

DICK Palazo Theaters
8601 W. 135th St.
Overland Park, KS 66223

DICK West Glen 18
16301 Midland Dr.
Shawnee, KS 66217

AMC Odyssey 24 Barrywoods
8101 NW Roanridge Rd
Kansas City, MO 64151

DICK Northglen
4900 80th St.
Kansas City, MO 64119

DICK Eastglen 16
1451 NE Douglas St.
Lee's Summit, MO 64086

David T.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the pic of my little "Graham cracker"...Is that not the sweetest little face you ever saw???? Such pure joy in that precious face!!! I don't say it enough but thank you so much for my treasure of grandsons!!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to comment on 2 of your random thoughts! First of all, our associate pastor went and saw "Facing the Giants". He said it is a great movie that deals with some good issues! I haven't gone to see it yet, but I am planning on going this weekend. There is also some great teaching/preaching ideas that we have come up with from the movie. They sent us a promo dvd (which included a 8 week Bible study w/ clips from the movie) From everything I have heard, it is worth seeing and encouraging your people to see also!

Secondly, I just wanna give you and Shannon some encouragment with financial peace. Kristi and I went to a live event in January and have been on his plan since. Because of his plan we have already knocked out around $2000 in debt (we are on our second part of the debt snowball) and also were able to pay a second mortgage (on our house in Enid that we were renting out, but just sold) for 5 months. It wasn't easy or comfortable all the time, but with every dollar assigned, there is light at the end of the tunnel. And it is exciting to think that without a raise, we can be completely debt free in about 10 years. Good luck, because I know it is and will be tough, but I have also seen the plan work!

DEBTective said...

Bub, just wanted to say I'm big-time proud of you for working to deep-six your debt. Dave Ramsey's plan makes tons of sense, doesn't it? Thanks for spreading the debt free word, and for working for The Man Upstairs. www.debtective.com