Friday, October 20, 2006

Answering the Cynics

Earlier this month I received a comment from an angry anti-Christian bigot, to whom I didn't respond. But it's been bugging me, so here you go.

The person's Internet name is "Hoodlum," which is telling. As is his blog and blogger biography, which states: "I am waging a ceaseless Jihad against religious stupidity, government idiocy, and corporate malfeasance,as directed by my best buddy Jesus. For I am the Chosen One, ordained by fate to strike down the forces of stupidity and bring about a new golden age of enlightment [sic]."

Interesting. There's nothing quite like debating to an irreverent, contemptuous, close-minded and bitter recalcitrant. Fun, fun, fun.

Anyway, here is his response to my post on beliefs, with my remarks interlaced:

Nice logic there, given one cannot prove a negative. Also, aren't you the one making the outlandish claims regarding the existence of all powerful invisible things that rule our life?

You're right, no one can prove a negative, that's precisely my point. The position of an atheist is untenable. You can't prove that God doesn't exist. A fool says in his heart, there is no God. But I'll give you points for boldness, because if you're wrong, your goose is cooked.

Logic leads to the conclusion that the "uncaused first cause" would be worthy of acknowledgment, at least. Whether or not He rules your life is up to you.

Also, all children do not inmately [sic] believe in God. That's why children of atheists are atheists, while children of Muslims are... Muslim, the same for Jews. In fact, most people stick with the religion of their parents, with a some becoming atheists or adherents to a different religion.

Wrong again… and you've kind of missed my point. People groups everywhere have always expressed a desire to worship. They worship whether it's God, the Earth, a tree, the stars, a hero, the state, human achievement, etc. You can't find a people who don't try to find or create something bigger themselves which impacts them at a spiritual level. Everyone knows something exists which ought to be worshipped, it's just a matter of finding Him.

Finally, when discussing Christianity, it helps to identify which of the over 33,000 sects you are discussing, for purposes of clarity.

Gladly. I mean historic, primitive Christianity based on Biblical authority. I'm not about to try to defend the things that men have added to it in the last two thousand years. So complain all you want about corrupt priests, medieval crusades, or con-artist preachers, it's no skin off my back.

Hopefully, Hoodlum will write again. I'd welcome him to engage in a debate in the form of answering any question on religion or philosophy he's willing to throw at me, so long as he will answer my questions. I think it would be quite revealing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered how long you'd go without responding to his comments... After reading his profile (thank you posting it for everyone's entertainment) it became obvious that you really didn't need to respond. But I'm glad to see your calm and calculated response, instead of dignifying his comments with the kind of response he would've expected.

Thumper said...

Calm? I did call him a recalcitrant.