Saturday, December 22, 2007

Lost at Union Station

Shannon writes about our dramatic day yesterday at her myspace page:

Jared took today off and we went ahead with our plans to go to Union Station. Every Christmas they have beautiful trains and the kids just love it. We had planned to go on Tanner's birthday but having been in the hospital and all we had to postpone.

The kids seemed to be having a wonderful time. They even got to ride an old fashioned train from the Macy's store. Who knew it would be so busy during the day on a week day?

We had a couple issues with Tanner and Eli arguing but other than that it was a pleasant trip right up to the end. Jared and I started heading for the doors when the older boys asked if they could see the trains one more time. Jared and I agreed that it would be fine. He was to take the baby to the car and the older boys and I were to take one more trip around the trains. Jared turned to leave and I did the same.

I walked a few steps and turned to take inventory 1..2..; 1..2.. "WHERE'S ELI?" Elijah had seemingly vanished into thin air. I was able to stay pretty cool for the first minute or so why we searched for him. I assumed he had to be right there only a moment or two had passed. There was no sign of my son.

We ran ahead to the trains thinking he must have run past us unnoticed. When we didn't see him there either I started screaming his name. I didn't care about the odd glances I had to find my boy.

A security guard approached me and asked for his description. Within moments there were 20+ security guards and a few caring individuals looking for Elijah. While I was running back in forth searching I began praying fervently. I honestly believe that God saved Eli at Children's Mercy this week and just days later I lost him. I begged God to let me find my baby.

Jared says only about 5-7 minutes passed, but it felt like an eternity and as each lead turned out not to be him I was sure I wouldn't ever see my son again. I have heard horror stories of abductions and that building is so vast with so many dark hallways and rooms. I don't even want to describe what I was imagining. It still brings me to tears.

Jared's cell phone had been messing up and kept shutting off so I didn't have a way to contact him. He was out front waiting and I didn't want to even take a minute to tell him for fear that I would miss Eli.

An officer made me stay near the place I last saw him and kept asking me for his description. I honestly thought I was going to vomit when he kept getting Eli's description wrong. I explained he was wearing a grey sweatshirt and navy sweats and he was telling everyone through his walkie talkie that he had on a navy shirt with dark pants. In the midst of the chaos and my near fainting my phone rang. I saw it was Jared and I answered yelling,"Elijah is missing!!"

Jared very calmly said, "I have Eli, what are you talking about." I swear to you it took all I had not to fall down in a heap. Apparently when Jared and I decided what we were doing Eli ran to his dad and asked to go with him. Jared thought I had said it was okay. He had tried to get my attention to make sure and I simply didn't hear him. Elijah walked out with his daddy safe and sound.

I was hysterical by this point and I explained to the officer that we have 4 boys and daddy was supposed to take the baby, but apparently took Eli too. I apologized and then ran to the van to kiss my baby's face off.

I haven't ever felt fear like that in my life. I was a mess the rest of the day. Poor little Eli asked if I thought he was dead. I didn't have the heart to tell him it had entered my mind. I just explained I thought I had lost him and it made me so very sad.

Brennan and Tanner were helping me in the search and Tanner kept cupping his fat little hands around his mouth while he yelled his baby brother's name. I'm not sure if we will ever go back to Union Station. Jared is concerned if I will ever take the kids in public again.

Obviously I will and we will probably go see the trains again next year, but you may see my kids outfitted with those kid leashes I've always thought were so awful. It's just that we are so careful and I literally count my kids hundreds of times every time we're out in public. We know Eli tags behind so we keep a close eye on him and Jared tends to bring up the back of the line to make sure no one strays.

All of this brings to mind the Luke 15 passage about the lost sheep.

"Then Jesus told them this parable: "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." Luke 15:3-7

Each one of you that have pulled away from the heavenly Father is the same as that lost sheep. The bible tells us that God is our Abba which translates Daddy. Your Daddy is searching for you and calling your name, please go home and allow Him to celebrate your homecoming. He is eagerly waiting to kiss your face off :)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I can completely understand how Shannon must have felt! Brooklyn disappeared on us in Costa Rica when she was 2 years old. We were shopping in a large, Wal-Martish store and, when we were checking out, she just decided to walk away. Sean went searching in one direction and I went in the other...I was crying and hollering for her but didn't find her. I was so scared we'd lost her forever and terrible thoughts were storming my mind. Pretty soon, though, I saw Sean coming my way with a crying Brooklyn in his arms (she'd already had a firm talking-to and spanking from her frightened Daddy). Sean had found her OUTSIDE the store, getting ready to step off the curb in front of a line of taxis. One of the scariest days of our parenting lives....so far. I no longer have a problem with "child leashes" after that day! We're glad to hear that Eli is both healthy and safe where he belongs!
--Becca