Thursday, December 06, 2007

Of Compasses and Millstones

The Golden Compass movie is finally hitting the big screens this week. Based on a trilogy of children's books, I've noted before that this story is an overtly anti-Christian vilification of religion. I'd encourage parents to investigate the books (and the films as they come out) before allowing the influence of author Philip Pullman to be unleashed on impressionable minds.

I'm not sure if I'll watch these movies (which appear to be somewhat watered down). But I am sure that I'm not going to let my kids watch something like this without being properly prepared first.

Writer Gregg Easterbrook writes:

In the Golden Compass trilogy, God is both a fraud (a space alien pretending to be divine!) and the source of every evil in the universe; Christianity is "a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all"; God has created not heaven but hell and sends all souls, even those of the righteous, to hell; Christian churches are run by corrupt power-mad conspirators whose goal is to abolish pleasure in life; the quest of the astonishingly competent English schoolgirl who is the trilogy's heroine is to locate ancient magical objects that will allow her to kill God and free the world from religion.

No comments: