Saturday, December 29, 2007

Netscape is Dead! Long Live Firefox!

AOL announced recently that as of February 1, 2008 they will no longer support that faithful old web browser, Netscape. In reality, Netscape had been replaced by Firefox and other browsers ages ago.

My first days of regular internet browsing were on Netscape Navigator in the mid 90's. But Netscape couldn't keep up with the ubiquity of Microsoft's Internet Explorer, which dominated web browsing during the late 90's. I felt forced to use Explorer (or iCab or Opera) until a better option, Safari, came along in 2003. I've been using a combination of Safari and Firefox ever since.

Though I browse and read my news in Safari (the fastest browser out there) I blog exclusively on Firefox, which seems to work better with some sites (like Blogger). About a third of folks use Firefox but Safari seems to be the best kept secret out there. It's a good, fast browser with some great features, including the best inline find anywhere.

No comments: