Thursday, April 16, 2009

Board Game Geek

I recently purchased a board game that I'm pretty excited about, Settlers of Catan.

Settlers of Catan is an award-winning German board game. It's been one of the top board games of the year for 10 years running. It's as smart a game as Monopoly or Risk but is much shorter (60-90 minutes).

I've played it a handful of times now and I really like it! You build and trade and compete, working with and against your fellow players. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once everyone understands the gameplay, the game can run its course rather quickly. As the wikipedia article states, "The game is well suited for family play, since no one gets eliminated, and players who are behind can strive towards goals that are within their reach." And the best part: the game board is set up differently every time so no two games are ever the same.

The usual suspects playing this game are Shannon, Kyle, Mike and me but I know that David T. plays, so we'll have to make a date to play. I also think Brennan could learn and maybe Tanner too. Anyone else who wants to take an hour or two to learn the new board game with us. You can also learn interactively here.

No comments: