Monday, April 20, 2009

More Catan

Everyone is catching the Settlers of Catan fever!

With friends and family, we're playing Settlers multiple times each week. You generally need to play once to get up to speed but almost everyone seems to really like it. Here's some thoughts:

  • Game length: We played a fast one late Sunday night at 45 minutes. Typically, 60-90 minutes is more realistic. We've had a couple of long ones, usually while teaching new people, that go a full two hours.
  • I'm going to teach Brennan (8) to play the game this week. I'd teach Tanner (7) but I don't think he has the patience yet to last more than an hour on one task. He'll get there eventually.
  • One of the best things about Settlers is that every game is completely different. But I'm looking forward to a big 5 or 6 player game, as I've not yet used my extension pack. The board is bigger, the rules are slightly different, and there's a little more variety.
  • Speaking of variety, I have two expansions or scenarios for my Settlers game, The Great River of Catan and The Fishermen of Catan. There's an infinite number of variations, house rules, cutomized tiles and scenarios for this game. It's so easy to tailor it to your liking.
  • Here's the website for boardgames: boardgamegeek.com. I've not been impressed with Mayfair's (the American publisher of Settlers) website yet as it seems to have lots of broken links.

Most important, I highly recommend TableTop Game and Hobby in Overland Park. It's a nice, clean, well-stocked store dedicated to board games and related paraphernalia. The owner, Phill Kilgore, is helpful, intelligent, and friendly. Phill can help you with all of your family's board gaming needs.

When I visited TableTop, Phill answered all my questions and made several helpful suggestions for games my kids might like. And he's a bigtime Mac user. How could you not like the guy?

No comments: