Friday, April 17, 2009

Movies My Brother Should See

I've given up on trying to get Dustin's inner-geek to watch the Lord of the Rings movies or even Harry Potter. I don't expect him to watch all the war movies that I appreciate. But here's some movies I think my little brother might actually watch and enjoy.

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) – Dustin's a big fan of O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000). In my opinion, the Coen Brothers' The Hudsucker Proxy is a great movie, very much in the same vein as O Brother and nearly as good. Raising Arizona (1987), and to a lesser degree The Big Lebowski (1998), are similar Coen Brothers comedies.

Groundhog Day (1993) – I don't know if he's seen this already or not, but if any movie is worth watching over and over and over again… well, you get it. It's the best Harold Ramis has ever been behind the camera, including Multiplicity (1996), and I think it's the best Bill Murray has ever been in front of the camera. [Yes, that's a dig at that stupid Lost in Translation rubbish. Gag.]

The Sting (1973) – Everyone our age likes the new Pitt/Clooney Ocean's Eleven movies. That's fine, but it's worth seeing the original Ocean's Eleven (1960) as well, as I think it's easily the second-best of the four Ocean's movies. But a lot of people my age have never seen The Sting with Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Robert Shaw, and Eileen Brennan. It won seven Oscars including Best Picture and was more interesting than any of the Ocean movies.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) – While I'm on a Paul Newman kick, let me name a couple more. Butch Cassidy is just a good movie. Period. But I was surprised at how good Cool Hand Luke (1967) was. If you don't like Newman, then what we have here is a failure to communicate.

The Usual Suspects (1995) – It wouldn't hurt to watch this one edited for television. Nevertheless, it's one of the most underrated films of all time. It's a really smart (and violent) crime mystery. While you're watching Kevin Spacey, I really liked K-PAX (2001) and Beyond the Sea (2004).

Murder on the Orient Express (1974) – I know Dustin enjoys intelligent dialog and I can't think of a more enjoyable who-dunnit mystery than Orient. This is yet another movie with an all-star cast that will keep you guessing 'til the end. I get a wide grin on my face when I think of watching Orient for the first time.

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942) – This is my favorite James Cagney movie and one that made me think of Dustin because of the singing and dancing. Cagney gives an amazing performance portraying an amazing performer in this true story… and it's patriotic to boot. If you like this one, you can see Cagney get to actually fight in WW1 in The Fighting 69th (1940) and What Price Glory (1952).

Dustin, get back to me when you've completed your homework assignment. Most of these are available cheap at Blockbuster or the local public library and I caught most of them on TV.

4 comments:

Jen said...

"To a lesser degree The Big Lebowski"?? Really?? Come on! That is the best movie they made. Ok besides the fact you can not watch it with your kids (or grandmother) within 10 miles of you, it was truly brilliant! :) And I agree with you on Groundhog Day (except Bill was great in Ghostbusters!, and Lost in Translation did stink!

Anonymous said...

Now I need a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid fix. That movie rocks!

Dustin said...

Alright, alright...

Hudsucker Proxy - Based on what you've told me already, I think this sounds like a great movie, or at least one that I'll really enjoy. I haven't seen it yet, but I fully intend to.

Groundhog Day - ... really? Wow, I am so surprised that you bother to mention this one out of thousands of other good movies, it almost makes me wonder about the validity of the rest of your list.

The Sting - Haven't seen it, haven't even heard of it. Ocean's Eleven was good, but not great.

Butch Cassidy and ... - Haven't seen it, but would like to.

The Usual Suspects - Haven't seen it.

Murder on the Orient Express - Haven't seen it. Seems pretty far-fetched judging by the title. How do you murder somebody while strapped into a roller coaster at Worlds of Fun?

Yankee Doodle Dandy - Haven't seen it, but I'd be willing to... as opposed to Lord of the Hobbits and Harry Welcome Back, Kotter.

No Tivo, no DVR, no Satellite, no cable, NO movies on demand... However, I DO have bunny ears and a converter box that I bought using a $40 voucher from the Federal Gov't.

Jen said...

The Dude Abides............