Thursday, April 02, 2009

What Do You Want? Part 2

To be perfectly clear, I didn't (and wouldn't) ask for a new car.

But there is a Bible Belt subculture where the pastor of a church is lauded and praised. And, in some cases, ministers are grossly overpaid, given too much control, and receive expensive gifts (like new cars or expensive homes). I feel this is wrong on several levels.

There's a saying that "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." I don't want supreme control over the church and I don't want an embarrassment of riches in material compensation. I dread being corrupted by the rewards I might receive on this side of Glory. Material gains and political power are pitiful recompense for lost integrity.

My greatest fear is failure in this responsibility (i.e. the teaching and prayerful care of this group of believers).

No comments: