Saturday, October 20, 2007

Of One Accord

My '94 Honda Accord is slowly eroding. It runs great but, apart from the engine, the car is falling apart. As the years go by, all kinds of unessential items, or the sensors for them, are breaking. Radio antennae: stuck. Temperature knob: broken and missing. Open door sensors: failed. Blinker level: melted, caught steering column on fire, replaced. You get the idea: it's a faded, cracked, rusting, bucket of bolts – that always runs.

I'm sure that my Honda has been my most reliable vehicle ever. I'm also sure the doors will fall off before the engine quits running. And having a reliable car that's paid for, it's hard not to forgive flaking paint and random dashboard lights. So on the one hand I'd love to drive something nice, but on the other hand I love having a vehicle that I can count on. I've had cars that looked nice but barely ran; I'll take my Honda.

And did I mention the no car payment thing?

No comments: