Monday, July 09, 2007

B-17, Nine-O-Nine and 787

I was expecting to see a beautiful plane yesterday with the internationally televised rollout of Boeing's 787 Dreamliner. But I was treated to a firsthand sighting of another wonder of aviation.

I was visiting the hilltop home of some folks from church Sunday afternoon, when suddenly I heard a low flying aircraft above us. I looked up and saw a rare sight: a vintage World War 2 bomber flying low and slow almost directly over us. I immediately recognized it as the four-engine B-17. As it passed over I noted that 1) it was a painted in green camouflage as B-17s were camouflaged through 1943 but not late in the war, 2) it had a chin mounted machine gun turret, the easiest way to distinguish the model, a B-17G, 3) it had a "triangle A" on the tail which means it belonged in 8th Air Force, 1st Bomb Wing (hence the triangle). I later found out that "triangle A" was the same Bomb Group (the 91st) as the famous B-17F, the Memphis Belle.

These clues were enough to lead me to the Nine-O-Nine (pictured below), one of the few remaining B-17s still flying today and in Kansas City for the weekend.


This Nine-O-Nine is actually a different B-17G, restored to look like the original Nine-O-Nine, which was cut up for scrap after the war.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was especially difficult to keep the car on the road while driving on 169 past the downtown airport when I noticed that the B-17 AND B-24 were both parked on the ramp next to the highway... I wish I would have had time to stop and go out on the ramp and look at them up close!!