Thursday, July 12, 2007

Church Camp in 15 Hours

We took the family (and Mike) to church camp yesterday. Shannon gave her testimony in the morning, I played some hand golf, the kids and dog played hard all day, and I preached at chapel that evening. It was a good day but a long day.

The camp was running at near capacity with about 100 campers and 25 on staff. It great to see so many kids there after a couple of years of low attendance. Shannon spoke to a full chapel and gave her testimony about growing up at that camp and the difference it made in her life.

I played three rounds of hand golf after lunch, which is significantly harder in July when the grass is dry. After making improvements to the course, we were all eager to jump in and give it a try. My first round I had my first hole-in-one (on the par 3 third hole)! But I followed it up with three bogeys and finished the round at a mediocre 2-over par. I came back and played again finishing at 3-under and played a third time, finishing at a very satisfactory 5-under. Below is a shot of Jay-rod on the fourth hole.


The kids and the dog ran themselves ragged all morning and afternoon. Several young kids were there (children of the staff) and our boys loved having so many friends there to play with. But Sophie drew the most attention from kids, adults, and campers.


After supper came chapel, where I had the opportunity to preach. And after chapel the whole camp went for a late evening swim at the swim park in Hiawatha. By 9pm or so the family was utterly exhausted, so we began the long trip home. Brennan, Tanner, Eli, Graham, and Sophie slept pretty hard after a long day.

No comments: