Monday, July 23, 2007

Story Time

I've begun reading The Chronicles of Narnia to Brennan (almost 7) and Tanner (5 and a half). This is the first routine story time that we've done with the kids, besides little picture books that are done and over in five minutes.

Brennan and Tanner both eagerly crawl up on my lap as I read to them one chapter per sitting. We started volume 1, The Magician's Nephew, last Saturday night and read the first chapter which ends in Polly's disappearance. We read chapter two yesterday afternoon before company came over and will read chapter three before bed tonight. It will take two or three weeks to get through each book or about four months to read the whole series. I know that the boys are young, but I think Brennan and Tanner are just old enough to handle the intensity of the story, especially with me reading it to them.

And I wouldn't trade this time with them for anything.

I want my boys to love to read. I recently bought them The Dangerous Book for Boys, which is a book I hope they go back to again and again during their grade school years. As they get older I hope they move on to other great books which I'm setting aside for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to let your boys read Harry Potter? I'm just curious about your take on it.

I haven't read the books because I am just not interested (although I could see myself getting into it and liking it - I hear they're very entertaining).

My question for someone (you) who has read them is this: Yes, there is good vs evil, but don't even the "good" characters use witchcraft?

Do they use spells and chants, etc? That's my impression and I'm completely ignorant on the subject, other than what I know Dr. Dobson has said about it.

Can you separate the good from the story and the occult-ish themes?

This came up in a discussion I had with someone last night and I really don't have an answer, so as a minister who pre-paid for the book, I'm curious for your take on it, as you obviously like the series.


Jeff E

Thumper said...

Seriously, I've not read the books; I buy them for a Christian friend whose opinion and discernment I value.

From discussing it with this friend (and watching the movies), I feel that many of the objections that some people have to Harry Potter are missing the point entirely:

This is all made up!

It's not real magic. You can't read the book, walk outside, say "avada kedavra," and expect anything to happen. It's all meaningless fiction (a point 99.9% of children seem to get).

If a book were glamorizing real-life witches and witchcraft, instead of this pretend, make-believe wizardry, I'd be more concerned. But it's not. So I'm not.

I bet Satan is laughing all the way to the bank that whole churches are upset over Harry Potter and completely ignoring real sin and godlessness.