Monday, July 02, 2007

Random Thoughts 7/2/07

  • An old favorite of mine, the A-10 Warthog, is getting a serious upgrade. The A-10C PE (precision engagement) will see the old 'Hogs get new wings, new radios, new avionics and targeting systems, etc., extending the useful life of the 1970's vintage A-10 well into the 21st century. I find it fascinating that one of the most useful aircraft in the Long War is one of the oldest, slowest, and cheapest airframes in the arsenal. Hmmm…
  • We've discovered that the puppy responds well to bacon-flavored doggy treats. So does our three year old. They look and smell like bacon-flavored beef jerky, which Elijah thought tasted pretty good when he sampled it. Shannon yelled at him, "Lijy, honey, no! That's food for the puppy!" To which he insisted, "it good."
  • I'm still trying to figure out when I can get away to the North American Christian Convention which starts tomorrow. The NACC has several events I would be interested in but I'm limited in the time I have and the degree to which I'm willing to spend any of the church's money. I'm torn. I am excited, however, to play host to my old college roommate during the convention. He'll be at booth 311 if you'd like to meet him.
  • I've got to stop wanting an iPhone. The inner-geek must be contained!
  • The last 150 or so F-14 Tomcats are being chopped up in the desert right now. It's important that these planes (or their parts) do not end up on the international black market, but it is kind of sad that there will soon be no flying F-14s. Aircraft dating back to World War 1 have been acquired by private groups and restored to flying condition for air shows and such. But even at 35 years old, the F-14 is too high tech to be exposed to prying eyes. Soon we'll only have museum displays and memories.

No comments: