Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Patton Chimes In

Here's a great remix of the famous George C. Scott as Patton speech before the American flag. But instead of World War 2 he's talking about the Long War on Terror and the Battle in Iraq. See the video here on youtube, but be warned: there is a little bit of soldier language.

It's a stirring speech. But the real Patton, though more profane, must have been less compelling. I remember my grandfather's often-told story of sneaking out of the front ranks during a Patton speech so that he could use the restroom. This version of the speech, however, is worth enduring.

On a separate note: I've decided that I'm going to stop calling it the "War in Iraq." What's happening in Iraq might more appropriately be called a theater of battle or even an area of operations. Victory or surrender there will not end the long conflict with Islamic fascism. And since the parties involved and the consequences extend far beyond the borders of Iraq, and since the same conflict is being fought in Afghanistan, the Horn of Africa, the Philippines, and elsewhere, I'm going to do my best to refer to it as the Battle for Iraq, or the Iraqi theater.

I believe history will confirm this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one is really drawing some attention lately-- I just had someone tell me about it and made me go to youtube to watch it the day before you made this post. This is really good and is really close to the original speech made by George Scott.