Thursday, March 02, 2006

Nacht der langen Messer

It has begun. ESPN reports:

The Chiefs started their salary cap purge Thursday by terminating the contracts of four veteran players: cornerbacks Eric Warfield and Dexter McCleon and linebackers Shawn Barber and Gary Stills.

The moves cleared out $6.3 million, but the Chiefs have more work to do to get under the $94.5 million salary cap. They started the day $18.1 million over the cap, so these moves leave them $11.9 million over.

The Chiefs are in the process of restructuring contracts and considering other releases of veteran players.

Other veterans who could fall under the salary cap knife are guard Will Shields and safeties Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley, but nothing is done at this time.

Hopefully, if Shields is cut he can be re-signed for less money (his family is established here in KC after all). And, though I never thought I'd be saying this, I'd like to see the Chiefs get Warfield back also. But teams like the Eagles and Cardinals will be looking to take advantage of this situation, so it's anybody's guess what your favorite team will look like next year.

And a big shiny nickel goes to whomever can tell me to what the title of this post refers and/or why I chose it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is German for "The Night of the Long Knives" . . . referencing the night that from 77 to 400 of Hitler's opponents were murdered.

Where's my shiny nickel?

Love,
Mom

Thumper said...

Ah, yes, but the opponents were former friends and colleagues that had helped Hitler up to that point. Do unto others before they do unto you?!

Hence the dismissal of valued veterans from the football team.

Thumper said...

Your nickel is in the mail.

Anonymous said...

I knew that, only if I sign on before mom. I guess cleaning the house is over rated and I sure read website more.